As responsible adults, we check the tires on our cars, we check our bank balances, we check our messages. But, how often do we overlook having our teeth checked?
While we care about our looks — and a beautiful smile can enhance your appearance — proper oral hygiene is important not only for cosmetic reasons, but can be a key factor in your general health as well. Poor oral hygiene can lead to a number of dental and medical problems such as gum disease, infection, bone loss, heart disease, strokes and more. Regular check ups and cleanings can prevent these problems. Experts recommend that people visit their Dentist for an Oral Examination and cleaning twice a year. A comprehensive Oral Examination involves a number of components, which may include:
- Checking the soft tissue inside the mouth, including an inspection for lesions and signs of oral cancer
- Periodontal Screening, which measures the space between the teeth and gums for signs of gum disease
- Examination of a patient’s “bite” which may identify a need for braces
Visual inspection for signs of tooth decay, including the use of specialized tools that can help identify the presence of cavities.
- Feeling your head and neck area, including the TMJ (temporomandibular joints) for signs of infection, disease or other oral problems
- Dental X-Rays to identify any hidden signs of decay or disease
- Treatment Plan, outlining recommendations for Preventative, Restorative and Acute care, including the proper Cleaning for your specific needs
Your Dentists at The Smile Center want to ensure that your smile always reflects your best — in your oral and general health