As the old saying goes, “yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift…that’s why it’s called the present!” So, we invite you to celebrate the present TODAY with a whimsical list of holidays for May 17th.
While it’s not Christmas (Dec. 25) or Earth Day (April 22) or even World Smile Day (Oct. 1), we can always find a reason to SMILE…
Some of the more fanciful things you can legitimately celebrate today, include:
- “Norwegian Constitution Day”: Their national constitution adopted in 1814 on this day, calls for an all-out celebration of all things Norwegian.
- Which leads us to “Uff-Da Day” in North Dakota — where many of Nordic descent settled when they came to America.
- Half a world away, on a tiny atoll in southwest Pacific Ocean Micronesia, the Republic of Nauru also celebrates “Nauru Constitution Day” today!
- While we’re on an international tangent, today is also “United Nations World Telecommunication Day” — so reach out and touch someone across the globe.
- Back home, in the United States, we can add some sugary smiles to our day with “National Cheery Cobbler Day.”
- Our Native Americans also have a special day on May 17th: “Flower Moon Day” in honor of the May full moon and the beautiful springtime blooms.
- As is well-known, we Americans LOVE any reason for a party and today we can also observe “I Am An American Day” — maybe with some Cheery Cobbler and a spring bouquet!
- Moving on to some of our smaller residents, May 17th commemorates “Kids Helping Kids Day” as well as “Babysitter Safety Day.” After all, little people like a party, too!
- Speaking of safety and health…today is also “National Employee Health & Fitness Day” in addition to “National Playday For Health Day” — which makes this a particularly good day for family fun, since the first Merry-Go-Round was introduced on this day in 1620. Appropriately enough, it was pulled by horses!
- On the subject of horses, on this day in 1875 the very first Kentucky Derby was run, which some equine lovers continue to celebrate today as “Kentucky Derby Day” — even though this year’s Run For The Roses is already in the history books, along with the latest in hat fashion!
- Putting those mandatory Derby chapeaux on the shelf leads us to one of my personal favorites today — “National Pack Day!” Revel in your inner pack rat and be proud of that special collection that your friends — and spouses — may not truly appreciate!
- But, something we can all appreciate is “Armed Forces Day” which some years does fall on May 17th but we will observe this year on May 19th…the third Saturday in May. Here in San Antonio — fondly known as Military City USA — we take every opportunity to show our appreciation for the men and women who protect us, as well as their families who hold down the fort, so to speak, at home!
At The Smile Center we celebrate our Armed Forces personnel and their families EVERY day. In fact, every November our W.W. White location honors those who proudly serve: active duty, reserves, retirees and their dependents, with our Annual Smiles For Heroes community initiative — where every one of them can receive a $400 Beyond Laser Whitening Treatment for only $99!
So, whether you’re in the mood for some Cheery Cobbler, a little Uff-Da Norwegian fun, an unscheduled rummage sale to feed your inner Pack Rat or simply the fact that there are 228 days remaining in the year, find a reason to SMILE and celebrate TODAY! And, if you missed it today…tomorrow is “International Museum Day!”