We hope that all the Mothers enjoyed their Mother’s Day celebrations yesterday…and The Smile Center is chosing to honor all the moms in our lives with a salute to Mothers and the source of their smiles today!
The bond between mothers and their children is undeniable and this is borne out through actual science!
- Women smile over twice as much as men, 77% to 35% — maybe because many of them are moms!
- The average woman smiles about 62 times a day! Men…only 8.
- Babies are born with the natural ability to smile and start at around three weeks old…so you can just smile at that cranky relative who insists it’s just gas!
- All people are born with the ability to smile. They don’t just copy the expressions of those around them — even babies born without sight smile!
- But, don’t fool yourself! Newborns show a definite preference for smiling faces over non-smiling faces.
- There are 18 different types of smiles used in a variety of social situations.
- Babies have special smiles — called Duchenne smiles of joy and happiness — for those they love most!
- Human beings can differentiate between the genuinely “felt” smile — again, our friend the Duchenne smile — and the social smile. The key is in the eyes…so those Irish eyes really ARE smiling!
- While we’re talking about those “faked smiles” you should know that when you smile, your brain releases endorphins that make you feel better — and even a “fake” smile releases endorphins, so you can actually fake it until you make it!
Most importantly, moms who may be worried about those “smile” lines that the joys of motherhood bring, remember that it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown, so step away from the Botox and take a look at the joy your love brings to your family every day — and SMILE!