Article at a Glance
- The 2019 South by Southwest (SXSW) Conference and Festivals run from March 8-17 in Austin, Texas.
- With a great lineup of speakers and performers, SXSW is sure to inspire creative minds.
- Get a list of some of the best restaurants in Austin serving up everything from barbecue to southern comfort food with a twist.
- Enjoy some of Austin’s best attractions like spooky ghost tours in converted hearses with Haunted ATX or the Austin Duck Tour.
Are you ready to be inspired? SXSW 2019 is in full swing with a variety of professionals, interactive displays, films, and music that will motivate you to create and reach your goals. Be ready to network, collaborate, and celebrate what it means to be diverse, inventive, and creative in the modern world!
What is SXSW?
Since 1987, Austin has hosted South by Southwest, better known as SXSW. More than 700 people attended the inaugural SXSW and that number has continually grown over the years. Despite the constantly changing business and creative landscapes, SXSW has stayed true to its mission of bringing professionals together to expand their horizons.
The SXSW Lineup
SXSW 2019 boasts an eclectic lineup that has been broken into four avenues to accommodate the number of speakers, performers, and exhibits. There are hundreds of professionals ready to share their stories, ideas, and knowledge with you.
SXSW 2019 Conference Speakers
From Cryptocurrency to Entrepreneurship, the conference portion of SXSW 2019 is loaded with speakers from more than two dozen industries. Some of the most innovative minds are slated to speak this year. Featured speakers include Stacey Abrams, Elizabeth Banks with Aidy Bryant, Lance Bass, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with Briahna Gray, David Feinberg and Clay Johnston from Google Health, Neil Gaiman, Frank Oz, and Henry Winkler.
SXSW 2019 Festivals
SXSW 2019’s festival circuit is broken into four sub-festivals that will run at different points during the event. Whether you’re a film buff, a music lover, looking for a laugh, or hoping to experience something new and creative, there’s something for you.
- SXSW Interactive Festival runs March 8-12 and includes competitions, pitch sessions, and awards to honor innovators.
- SXSW Film Festival runs March 8-16. Attendees can catch everything from comedies to documentaries that are sure to entertain and inspire.
- If you’re more into music, the 2019 SXSW Music Festival will showcase more than 2,000 artists from over 60 countries.
- This year’s SXSW Comedy Festival will run from March 8-12 followed by nightly shows March 13-16. Fresh faces, experienced favorites, and even a few surprise guests will show off their comedic chops and even participate in special events like a roast battle and improv event.
SXSW 2019 Exhibitions
These exhibits are nothing short of ground-breaking. Thousands of creative professionals put their innovations on display. It’s a great space to gain exposure and network with other creative, forward-thinking professionals.
SXSW 2019 Networking
One of the greatest aspects of SXSW is the networking component. The opportunity to rub elbows and share ideas with other creative thinkers is the highlight of SXSW. Meetups, lounges, and parties provide ample opportunity to make valuable connections while having a great time.
Where to Eat for SXSW 2019
There is literally something for everybody in the foodie haven of Austin, Texas. You’ll want to sample some of the best restaurants in Austin while you’re attending SXSW. Grab some mouthwatering barbecue at Franklin Barbecue or head to Nervous Charlie’s for a fresh take on bagels and some other New York City-inspired cuisine. Italian lovers can dine at Uncle Nicky’s in the Hyde Park neighborhood. If you’re looking for something a little different, try The Peached Tortilla’s Asian-Southern comfort food.
More Fun in Austin
Why not stay a little longer to enjoy some of the attractions in Austin? There is so much to explore outside of SXSW whether you’re experiencing Austin for the first time or you’re a local seeking a different side of home. These are some of the best things to do in Austin, Texas.
- Nine months of the year, you can witness more than 1.5 million bats flying away from Congress Bridge to hunt those pesky mosquitos.
- Sign on for a unique ride with Austin Duck Adventures for a tour of the city complete with awesome views.
- Embrace the oddity that is the Haunted ATX team. Ride in a converted hearse as your driver shares a blend of ghost stories and Austin history that will both educate and spook you.
- As far as tours go, Austin Detours offers plenty of options for any tastes. From music to wine to barbecue, Austin Detours has you covered.
Enjoy SXSW 2019
One thing is for sure, SXSW 2019 is going to be the experience of a lifetime. You don’t want to miss out on everything this event, and the city of Austin, has to offer.
Our sister brand, Jefferson Dental Care, is thrilled to be opening a new location in the Austin area. We look forward to being a part of such an innovative community! Join us at our Grand Opening event, Saturday 3/30.