Article at a Glance
- Adopt a daily routine to care for your teeth and stick to it.
- Schedule regular check-ups with your dentist.
- Ask about new products on the market that can help keep your smile healthy.
- Explore orthodontic options for straighter teeth.
- Inquire about membership plans with your dentist to lower your costs.
It’s the month of new resolutions and keeping your teeth healthy could be the easiest one to keep this year. You may already have a regular dentist and a daily routine, but you might be missing some key opportunities to improve your smile.
Start a Routine of Proper Daily Care
Brushing your teeth regularly is the best thing you can do for your mouth and it can affect more than just your smile. If you’re already an avid brusher, that’s great! Just in case, we’ve compiled a few tips to improve your daily routine.
- Be gentle. If you brush too hard you could damage your gums or scrub away enamel.
- Brush for a full two minutes. Even if you brush regularly, it’s not going to be effective if it’s a quick thirty second scrub. If you’re having a hard time hitting that two-minute mark, use a timer or hum a familiar song while you brush.
- Don’t forget to floss. It’s also a good idea to floss at least once per day to remove any food particles caught between teeth. There are many options (including flavored floss), so you can find the right fit for you.
- Replace your toothbrush. Worn out or frayed bristles won’t do a very good job of cleaning your teeth. Ideally, your toothbrush should be replaced every three months or after an illness.
Resolve to Get Regular Check-Ups
When life gets busy, it can be easy to put off a trip to the dentist. If you’re guilty of procrastinating, it’s time to change that habit. Aside from a good cleaning, regular trips to the dentist mean you’ll be screened for cavities and other diseases.
Enroll in Your Dentist’s Membership Plans
In an era when health care costs are on the rise, many dental groups are initiating savings plans that provide savings to members. It’s a good idea to ask if your dentist has any options available to help offset some of your out-of-pocket costs. There may even be some free perks for enrolling!
Try New Products
There are a lot of new dental care products on the market. Technological advancements have led to innovative products like whitening pens and smart toothbrushes. There are even options to help you gauge how effective your daily dental routine is and where improvements can be made. You may also want to change to some of the more natural toothpastes available to limit the amount of artificial ingredients on your teeth. It’s a good idea to check with your dental hygienist for the best options for you.
Explore Orthodontic Options
Orthodontic treatments are about more than cosmetics. Straight teeth are easier to care for and tend to resist plaque build-up better than crooked, crowded, or twisted teeth. Imagine how easy it would be to brush and floss if your teeth were perfectly straight! There are many options to suit any lifestyle, including Invisalign and an array of color options, making it easier and more fashionable than ever to straighten your teeth.
It’s a new year and a time for forming new habits. Making a conscious effort to commit to your oral health is an excellent step toward living a healthier life overall. It may also be a simpler (and cheaper) option than joining a new gym. If it’s time to make an appointment for a check-up or to explore your options, contact your nearest Smile Center today!