After a visit to the San Antonio Zoo today, Smiling Sammy decided to share some fun creature facts…about teeth, of course!
As you may have noticed, we at The Smile Center have quite the penchant for unique facts, particularly related to our non-human roommates on this planet we share. With all the recent rains we’ve received in the Alamo City, mosquitoes will soon follow. But, did you know…
- Those six-legged, annoying blood-suckers have 47 teeth!
- A more welcome guest in our homes, the family dog possess 42 teeth
- While we humans have 32 permanent teeth — if we get all four “wisdom” or third molar teeth — we finally beat one of the more common creatures we encounter. Your furry house cat only has 30, so there’s one area where we can feel superior!
- The whale shark — well known for their teeth! — have over 4,000 but each is only 3 millimeters long. While they may be sharp, they’re only about .12 inches long!
- Everyone here in the Lone Star State KNOWS that everything is bigger in Texas, but the armadillo has 104 teeth!
- One of our mammal relatives — thought to possess many “human” qualities — the dolphin shares another trait with us…they only get one set of teeth for their adult lifetime!
- Some of us have been known to “grind” our teeth, which our Dentists will tell you can be quite harmful. However, elephants grind their down their molars SIX times during their lives and grow new ones. And, those molars are 7 inches square in size!
- Gnawing down teeth can be a good thing for some other species. The Pocket Gopher can grow up to 15″ a year! Their continual gnawing wears them down so that they stay the same size. Your pet rats, mice and hamsters also have teeth that grow continually. If you have one as a pet, it must have wood to gnaw on to shorten its teeth, or it can die.
- And, the next time you sink your teeth into a nice piece of sausage, crispy piece of bacon or pork chop remember that pigs have 44 teeth!
Most interestingly, the fearsome crocodile welcomes the crocodile bird into its mouth to clean its teeth! So, the next time you visit your friendly, neighborhood Dentist at The Smile Center you will REALLY be able to appreciate that new toothbrush we give you!